Tuesday 6 May 2008

What's Worst Possible Thing That Could Happen To You and Your Personal Training Business?

It's being successful.

Correction;

It's being successful and not being ready for it.

I know, it's happened to me.

And it cost me tons and tons of time, effort and money as a result.

You see, it's relatively easy to generate short-term success.

You read a few books, watch a few videos, attend a few seminars and, Bob's-your-uncle, you've got a killer sales letter, your Google Adwords campaign is kicking butt, your affiliates are working overtime and you've pulled traffic to your site, made a bunch of sales and then sit back and celebrate how clever you are.

I know; I've been there.

And so have many of my great friends in the fitness industry.

But then it all starts to go wrong.

Your site goes down because you didn't have enough bandwidth to cope with the traffic you are your affiliates managed (successfully) to drive there.

(This happened to me when one of my sites crashed just 30 minutes into my 'big day'. I had hundreds upon hundreds of mails telling me that they couldn't see the page and, considering that this was for online PT demonstrated very effectively that my online PT was going to be unreliable)

Net result: Success kills the promo. (In my own case, my 'big day' pulled in less than a 25% of what I'd hoped for.

Next, your sales page is successful. It does the job. People like and want what you have to offer. All good so far.

But...

The purchase process is a pain. Paypal won't interface with your shopping cart and, as a result, people who are ready, willing and able to buy from you... can't.

So they go elsewhere.

(My first online products relied on a paypal/1shopping cart interface that only worked around 50% of the time meaning that half of my prospective customers had problems with the purchase, got frustrated and left.)

Result: Successful sales process killed because your site wasn't ready for the purchase process.

It gets worse.

They buy the product, you're over the moon!

But...

Your audios are saved in the wrong format or the file size is too large meaning that they take an eternity to download. Because of this, 'buyers remorse' pays an early visit and an unusually large number or refund requests are made.

(One of my first online endeavors hit this EXACT problem. I sold £3000 of the product, didn't think at all about the ease of delivery and of using it and had to give back nearly £1200 in refunds)

Net result: Successful marketing generates sales but failure to prepare for the sale kills the profit. Refunds requests start coming back at you faster than you'd believe possible.

And just because you make it through the traffic generation, sales letter, purchase and download phases ok doesn't mean that you're home free!

You can still kill your business by being too successful by doing stupid things... like I did.

(One of my products encouraged my readers to email me, daily, with their progress toward their goals.

Not bad when you have 10 customers.

Bad when you have 4000!

4000 customers who're now getting annoyed because you aren't keeping your end of the deal and paying them the personal attention you promised)

Net Result: Successful lead generation, sales, purchasing, downloading strategies killed by failure to deliver upon 'small stuff' like answering emails, blogging, visiting forums etc.

Like I said, I've been there, done it all and bought the T-shirt as far as being 'successful' is concerned and my success almost killed my business... and me with it! : )

That's why I now teach a very different process to all my students on my mentor program.

I teach a sequentialised system that ensures that you're prepared for success rather than having to stumble around in the dark making mistakes like I did.

This means that, every step of the way you can be sure that the successes you're building up are real and long-term rather than the short-term 'fake' successes that most of us achieve from time to time.

You could pay $10,000 to learn the process in-depth in my mentor program but, as most of the industry don't have that kind of money (or won't part with it!) I've decided to share the sequence for free.

You can hear all about it over at http://personaltrainersuccess.ning.com/ where I've also uploaded the now famous interviews I did with Alwyn Cosgrove and Pat Rigsby, two of the most prepared-for-success guys in the business. (Yes, it's free...honest!)

Pop on over, listen to the audios and the videos I've prepared for you and then do something with what you learn.

If you do, I promise you, your success will be faster and longer lived than most Personal Trainers could even dream of!

Tou your lasting success!

Dax Moy
www.personaltrainersuccessacademy.com


P.S - There comes a time when you have to move past reading blog posts to actually taking action on them. Make today one of those days!

2 comments:

Carvell Fitness said...

Hi everyone,

This post is so true. But like with everything in life, preparing to be successful is by far the most important part. If you are not prepared then you can forget about ever really taking advantage of any opportunities that comes your way and that to me is the worse thing that could ever happen.

The reason, in reality BIG BIG opportunities and we are talking life changing ones only come around a few times in your whole life and most people fail to become successful because they weren't ready or prepared when these opportunities came along.

Make sure you are prepared to become successful!

Peter Carvell
www.successpt.com

zevenesh said...

Dax is the man! I was in Dax's mentorship group, and to be blunt, you gotta have the mindset of a very, very rare individual....far and few think like this but Dax is ONE of few who will take you from the ground floor to the stars! I'm off to listen to some interviews!

Thank you Dax, as always!

--Zach--