Thursday 19 March 2009

Fitness Busy-ness or Fitness Business? Which One Do YOU Have?






As you guys know, I get a lot of posts here on the community and even more in my inbox asking me how I get so much done in a week toward my business.

I've always just taken the 'these are my targets. let me go get 'em' approach to most of what I do and so, I guess, it's juts a matter of getting stuff done.

Easier said than done.

Especially if you're in the habit of being busy versus be effective.

There's a HUGE difference between the two y'know.

Busy is easy to do.

It looks something like this:

Wake up early, eat a rushed breakfast, turn on computer, check your inbox for any 'important' emails, realise it's getting late and rush off to first client, finish client (or two) then get back online and start ploughing through the latest emails you got from the various marketing and PT lists you are on, click on a few links, read a bunch of blog posts and watch a video for 10 minutes that says exactly the same as the one that the guy yesterday sent you, go back to your email just in case an important email came through whilst you were reading the blog, it did (another newsletter), read it, realise your next client will be here in 5 minutes so switch off computer, complete another PT sessions then get back online to check out your favourite communities and blogs, leave a few posts and get ideas for posts that YOU could write, don't write them, instead read another post, another email, watch another video, write a client program, train another client, check your mail again, think about writing something for your blog, don't write it, head home, read a marketing book, don't use any of the new techniques you've learned because you're 'not ready' yet, go online, check email again, check out interesting community posts then collapse into a semi satisfied heap that you've had a busy day and earned a good night's sleep.

Phew!

Does that sound like your day? Or something like it?

It's easy to get to that stage when you fill your day with busy-ness rather than business. The two are not the same in any way, shape or form.

Busy-ness has very little business building or money making activity within it. Although you're on the go all day, hardly anything actually gets done and, as you already know from previous posts here, you only get paid for done, right?

I recently looked at one of my average days to see how I used it and i think you might find it interest, both for the similarities and the differences.

==> Trained 5 clients
==> Wrote 3 blog posts
==> Wrote 3 new email messages to my lists to drive them to blogs
==> Wrote a detailed website brief for my new site and sent to elance
==> Watched a 30 minute video from a program I paid for (Meaning I WANTED the advice)
==> Used what I learned to create my March Madness promotion at my studio
==> Wrote March Madness promotion brief and and briefed my staff verbally
==> Conducted a 2 hour team meeting where I laid out marketing strategy AND delivered a lecture on lifecoaching and goal setting
==> Spent 1 hour in my various communities answering reader questions or responding to interesting blog posts.
==> Spent 15 minutes skim reading all the emails from the lists I'm subscribed to. Deleted unnecessary mails, saved interesting ones only if I intend to do something with what I learned. If not, in the bin.
==> Wrote an elance brief for 20 hours of transcription. Hired my elancer within first 30 minutes, sent the escrow amount and the audio files within 1 hour.
==> Wrote 6 page worksheet for my mentoring call.

Now, let me be honest, I still had some downtime (I went to see Marley and Me with my wife and youngest son), I still stopped for lunch and had about 30 minutes goofing off with my staff and yes, I still worked when I got home in the evening.

But that's the operative word; I WORKED. I didn't sit on the internet until 9.30pm and get nothing done.

As you can see, that's a pretty full day, right? There's a LOT of productive stuff going on in that day and yes, it truly is an average day for me... and I still feel like I don't get enough done!

Yet, it's about 10 times as much as the average personal trainer or fitness professional.

The thing is, if I can do this so can you.

Just like you, I only get 24 hours a day to do my work. I don't get given extra hours because I've already written an ebook, already have a six figure income or already have my own personal training studios. I get exactly the same.

So does Bill Gates.

So does Warren Buffet.

So does Steve Jobs.

Yet look at what 24 hours in THEIR days can generate!

Success isn't about filling the day with being busy guys. It's about focusing on what's important to your business and your life goals and then getting them done!

Make a commitment this week to working on getting stuff done rather than just being busy and I guarantee you'll see results that you don't normally see in a year.

Get to it.

Get it done!

Dax Moy
Fitness Marketing Made Simple

P.S - Write a list right now of all the REALLY important stuff you could be doing today and all the stuff you've been putting off then, well, just do it. Make a commitment to getting this stuff done ASAP.

6 comments:

Austin Lawrence said...

Great post as always Dax, I realised I was doing pretty much what you've posted on a daily basis. I found myself listening to a fat loss audio yesterday with no new info on it, but I did manage to quit listening half way through. Gunna make an action list this morning and get all of done by tonight.
Cheers for reminding me, again, of what I already knew I should be doing : )

Austin Lawrence

Hippolyta said...

HOLY SMOKES! Dax, that is just SO spot on. I felt like you were spying on me!
I can't tell you how much of an impact you are already making on my life. Only problem is I got so excited that I signed up for your Magic 100 and the Module of Excellence on the same day so I'm saving the Excellence one and all your emails in order while I'm doing my 100 - which by the way is phenomenal!

Thank you!!
Helen

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Nice.

The key is to get up early (and yes, I know everyone gets up early already) and get at least one thing done.

I got up at 4:30am for 2 years straight to do this and it served me well. So get up earlier. Get something done. And you'll be ahead of 99% of the rest of the world.

craig

Jenn said...

That was FANTASTIC. You are right on...exactly what I needed. THANKS!

Alain Mokbel said...

Great post. It definitely was a reality check for me. Thanks... I'm going to work now!

Marc said...

Dax,

You hit the nail right on the head. I set off with good intentions when I switch the PC on but then get distracted by all the email I get from various places.

So my plan is to get the stuff I need done before I even connect to the internet.

Marc Kent