Tuesday 3 March 2009

Fitness Marketing: Guarantees and Getting Known Locally

Yesterday's affiliate marketing question seems to have stirred up a few people. I got some great email feedback but realise that I forgot something VERY important.

About commissions.

Traditional wisdom says to pay as much as you possibly can afford. as affiliates are pretty greedy and will be more inclined to work on your behalf if they get paid more.

Makes sense I guess, but personally I prefer to take this approach.

If the affiliate sale is about SALES then I normally pay about 50%, sometimes more. Given that my products are not cheap, this, I believe, is a decent commission rate and fair to both.

However, if I'm about listbuilding so that I can remarket later, then I'll give away as much as possible.

So it depends on the goal.

But I see no reason why you should have your affiliates making more money than you from your efforts. Maybe I'm wrong, but hey, that's my belief about this.

Anyway...

Today's qustion is from Andy Sloane.



"Hey Dax, Good shout on this post, as a relative novice it'll be great help.

1. What's the best way to attract clients from my local area so that they sign up with me?

2. Do you think that my offering guaranteed fat loss results is the way forward? I've had great results with all fat loss clients thus, far, the latest girl lost 9cm off the waist after 6 weeks, so I'm pretty confident in my methods, but think perhaps I've still not had enough to want to guarantee results?!)

Thanks bro

PS- bought your cookbook yesterday, big fan of the lemon dill chicken ;-)
Andy"



My answer...

Hey Andy,

There are lots of ways to get 'slightly famous' in your local area but here are the most effective.

1. Write... a lot! - The truth is, no matter how good you are at your job, if you don't exist in Google then it's like you don't exist. Even if I read a flyer or ad from that grabs my attention, I'm still going to check you out in Google to see what you're about.

If there are only 5 entries for your name then I'll probably skip your services. If there are 15,000 then you stand a good chance I'll call.

So write articles, put up regular blog posts, submit youtube videos, make comments on other people's forums or communities... but get known!

2. Don't advertise... educate! - Most people are sick of being advertsised and sold to but they're happy enough to have someone educate and teach them something they want to know.

So teach!

Instead of putting together flyers for your business saying 'Hire Me', put together colour handouts with sample workouts, fatloss or nutrition tips. More work, for sure, but more effective too!

3. Talk! - The only way we truly know if a person knows their stuff or not is to hear them say it. When they talk, we ascertain their level of expertise right away. We know if they are the real deal... or not.

So talk!

Hire a hall or other venue and invite people to hear you talk on a subject that you're already comfortable with. You'll wow them and they'll want to work with you.

So simple!

Of course, there's a lot more but that's a start : )

Now, as to guaranteed fatloss, the answer is a resounding 'yes'!

Yes, you should offer a guarantee. Not just on fatloss but for all your services.

It will elevate you and your business massively in the eyes of your prospects and make you the obvious (and only) choice for training.

My company offers a double your money back guarantee if we can't help you lose a clothing size in 21 days.

I personally offer a 10 x money back guarantee for the same.

Does it work?

Well, I'm the highest paid personal trainer in the UK so it's certainly not hurting, right?

Offer the guarantee.

Watch your business change...

...overnight!

Hope this helps : )

Dax Moy
For more Personal Trainer Marketing Tips
Visit www.personaltrainersuccessacademy.com



Got more questions?

Post 'em!

2 comments:

Andy Sloan said...

Hey Dax,

Thanks for all that, much appreciated that you took the time. I'll get on the case today, and let you know how things have gone in a couple of weeks ;-)

Thanks again,

Andy
www.procisionfitness.com

FitterFaster said...

Great advice as usual Dax and I testify that guaranteeing results works, but only if your program works. I've not refunded once yet!!