Friday 7 November 2008

Why is Dax Moy Pissed Off?

I had an unsubscribe from my ptsuccess newsletter this evening.

Now, I don't always read 'em as most of the time people are unsubscribing for mundane reasons like moving company or (occasionally) I get offensive or negative posts that just annoy me (hey, I'm human y'know!) : )

Tonight I got one that was mildly annoying at first but that actually perplexed me as I thought about it...

It read...

"Dax Moy's name is becoming very badly spoken about in the industry, no longer
interested in this blatant sales pitch. Obviously only interested in money."


Now, whenever someone tells you that you're spoken about badly in your industry it can be a concern and worth looking into... so I am! : )

Guys, I make no bones about the fact that I want to make money from my work... lots of it. That's no secret. I'm the highest paid trainer in the UK, I run the world's most expensive coaching program for fitness professionals and I expect to be paid very well for whatever I do.

Because, quite simply, I'm bloody good at it. (If I didn't believe this then I'd be wrong in charging what I charge)

BUT...

In the last year I've done over 50 teleseminars for the public... for FREE.

More than 30 interviews for trainers... for FREE.

Spoken at 3 conferences... For FREE

Run 12 days of fitness and helped hundreds of trainers build their lists... for FREE

Written 3-5 articles and blog posts for each of my 7 blogs each week... for FREE

Created the community at www.personaltrainersuccess.ning.com ... For FREE

And added as many useful posts and comments to sites like personaltraineru.com and others as my time allows.

Certainly, I'm always looking to see if I can create backlinks, opt ins, potential sales (who wouldn't) but I'm genuinely trying to help my industry to turn into a profession.

What's my point?

Well, I don't know really : )

I guess I'm venting a bit but also trying to understand people like this. People who sign up for newsletters to specifically learn information about marketing their personal training businesses but object to being on the receiving end of the very same marketing they want to use on their own lists.

I guess we all get that way sometimes. A little bit pissed off that we're being 'sold' when all we want is information but, on the other hand, don't you think that there's a bit of a hypocrite in us all too? (myself included!)

Asking for free info on how to make money from your business and then attacking the same person for marketing to you is a bit... backward.

The truth is, as much as we fight it, there comes a time for us all when we simply have to put our hands in our pockets and pay SOMEONE for their expertise if we truly want to get ahead. I've done it, and so has every successful coach I know but some people are of the opinion that they shouldn't have to.

I feel sad for those people as their lack of success is virtually guaranteed. Not because they won't buy from ME but because their mentality about being marketed to will carry out across the board and they'll go through life expecting freebies and blaming others when they don't succeed.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Not to beat up on this guy (or me!) but to hear what you think about complaints about being marketed to when you're on a marketing mailing list. Consider it market research so we can all understand 'where trainers are at'.

To your success

All of you!

Dax
www.personaltrainersuccessacademy.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dax:

A bit late on writing this. Just catching up.
Unfortunately, many people cannot be happy at others success. I see it everyday (though I try to avoid the negativity). These people try to bring others down to their level or relish the fact when those who are successful struggle or are met with hard times. Keep up the good work and don't let negative people bring you down. Many, many of us appreciate what you do.

aycfit said...

Dax,

I don't know what it means to "dig" or "tweet", but I will comment...

Yesterday, I posted about the importance of joining a mastermind group. One of the key elements is that it puts you around likeminded people. If you put yourself in a group of positive, helpful and driven people, you can't help but be that way too.

My motto since joining Pat, Jim, and Nicks mastermind group is "I'm learning so much more now, than back when I knew it all."

Greg Justice, MA
www.aycfit.com

Victoria said...

I have always been puzzled that we get the most unsubscribes for our most motivating e-newsletters.

-these are the newsletters that contain the most inspiring success stories that create a great positive buzz for the rest of our clients

-these are the newsletters that create a real energy amongst the clients and have motivated immediate change for many of them

My feeling is that there are some who would rather push away change in their own lives than embrace the difficult questions that they must answer to find their own success.

As for marketing in the emails- bring it on. We are all trying to create positive change for all our clients and part of this is influencing people to use our services.

If people are infinitely better off from contact with our services then it is our responsibility to help them make their first step.

In the case of PT success do I know that Dax wants me to improve my life and my business- yes, Is this likely going to involve me purchasing product created or endorsed by him-most likely.

Myself and every member in my team has benefited from both the free content and content I have subsequently purchased from email newsletters including Dax’s. A view you could take is that if Dax wants me to improve my business and my life it is his responsibility to provide information and keep on marketing in this information.

Keith
www.oxgyenstudio.com.au